Flood Insurance: What Homeowners Need to Know

Most homeowners do not realize that their homeowner’s insurance does not cover damage from flooding until it is too late. You need a separate insurance policy. If you are in Twinsburg, OH, get the help of Quest Financial and Insurance Services to find out the amount of flood insurance you need. Water damage is not necessarily flooding damage. A flood is water that goes as far as two acres or more or affects a property other than yours.

What You Need To Know About Flood Insurance

  • Even though the coverage for property and the structure may be in the same policy, you need to purchase them separately. It pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your property and its contents that may be damaged or lost during a flooding incident. It does not offer protection for landscaping features on your property such as gardens or trees.
  • Homeowners need to know that flood insurance only covers you for damage by water from outside your house. If, for example, there is flooding in your home because of an overflowing toilet or poor plumbing, your flood insurance won’t compensate you. It does not offer protection if your swimming pool overflows.
  • Your flood insurance policy does not cover your documents, valuable metals, or money. If you have made improvements in areas underground such as your basement, your flood insurance does not cover them. It does not cover the structures or the contents there.
  • If your home gets damaged by floods and you have to seek alternative accommodation, your flood insurance does not pay for the additional living expenses. If your home serves as an office, it does not pay for business interruption.

Contact Quest Financial and Insurance Services in Twinsburg, OH to discuss your new flood insurance quote and the options available.